- Text Decrease
- Text Increase
- Print Page
Time to think about registration
Reminder to renew registration by 30 September 2011
Medical practitioners in NSW, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania, the ACT and the Northern Territory must renew their medical registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) by 30 September 2011.
In Queensland, medical practitioners renewed their registration by 30 June 2011 and are registered up until 30 September 2012.
Medical practitioners who need to renew their registration by 30 September 2012 should take action now.
AHPRA is sending renewal notices by email, so keep an eye on your inbox. If you receive an email or other correspondence from AHPRA reminding you to renew your registration, you should act on it, even if you think that you are not due for renewal.
AHPRA is encouraging registrants to renew online at www.ahpra.gov.au. To do this you will need to know your User ID and your password. You would have received a letter from AHPRA in August 2010 providing those details. If you have misplaced your User ID and password, contact AHPRA on 1300 419 495. Please note that your User ID is different to your registration number that appears on the National Register.
It is also a good time to check that all your details with AHPRA are correct.
If you do not have access to the internet you can arrange for an alternative method of renewal by contacting AHPRA on 1300 419 495.
AHPRA has indicated that this year, it will not waive the late application fee of $168 for people who don’t lodge their renewal in time.
There are four things you can do to prepare for your renewal:
KNOW YOUR REGISTRATION EXPIRY DATE: You can check the online National Register at www.medicalboard.gov.au to confirm when your registration is due to expire and check your details.
- GIVE AHPRA YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND UPDATE YOUR CONTACT DETAILS: Make sure your contact details, including your email address, are correct and current. This will allow AHPRA to send you email renewal reminders and to contact you if necessary. If you have your unique contact number (User ID), go online at www.ahpra.gov.au, click online services and follow the prompts to update your contact details. If you do not have your User ID, complete an online enquiry form, selecting ‘User ID’ as the category of enquiry or by calling 1300 419 495. (NOTE: Your User ID or log-in number is different from your registration number).
- WATCH FOR THE REMINDER TO RENEW: A reminder to renew registration will be sent to each practitioner up to eight weeks before registration expires. Set your email account to receive communications from AHPRA and the Medical Board to avoid misdirection to an account junk box.
- RENEW ONLINE, ON TIME: The quickest and easiest way to renew your registration is online. Make sure you renew on time because under the National Law there is no option for AHPRA or the Medical Board to renew your registration after it has lapsed without a new application.
Key dates for 2011
- now – check your registration expiry date and renew online
- 30 September – renewal due
- 31 October – end of the late payment period
- 1 November – registration lapses for all medical practitioners that have not renewed
- 30 November – fast track applications close
The AMA urges all members to renew now. Leaving renewal til the last minute may have consequences for your practice.