Skip to primary content

Specialists in Public Hospitals

  • Text Decrease
  • Text Increase

The hospital wants to change my job/introduce new clinics/ restructure the department. What are my rights?

You should first look at clause 9 of the Specialists’ Agreement,  the Health Services are required to consult with affected doctors when introducing major workplace change that has an effect on their work.

You should also review hospital policies on workplace change and consultation, which can usually be found in HR policies on the hospital intranet.

Changes which may affect your work include:

  • termination of employment
  • change in the composition, size or operation of the workforce or skills required
  • diminution of job opportunities, promotion opportunities, tenure and alteration of hours of work
  • physical changes to the workplace that will impact on work requirements.

Once a definite decision is made to introduce major changes the hospital must:

  1. Notify the doctors affected of the decision to introduce the change
  2. Discuss with doctors affected and their representatives the effect of the change.
  3. Discuss ways to mitigate or avert any adverse effects.
  4. Consider matters raised by the doctors.

It is important therefore for you to notify AMA Victoria on (03) 9280 8722 if you receive a notice from your hospital to introduce workplace change.

References: AMA Victoria - Victorian Public Health Sector Medical Specialists Enterprise Agreement 2013 clause 9.

Victorian Medical Directory