Sections and Special Interest Groups
Sections and special interest groups provide AMA Victoria members with the opportunity to participate in a range of activities relating to their specific medical practice interest.
For more information on our Sections and Special Interest Groups, view the following list or contact us on (03) 9280 8722 or email@example.com
This section consists of a group of doctors who do WorkCover, TAC and medico legal work.
Frequency: The Section of Medico-Legal meets on the second Wednesday of each alternate month
Location: AMA House, 293 Royal Parade, Parkville, 3052
The Women in Medicine special interest group is an avenue for female doctors and medical students from across Victoria to network with colleagues and address issues of mutual concern.
Women in Medicine group events regularly feature eminent female medical practitioners who talk about their careers in medicine.
Join the Women in Medicine group
If you would like to be involved in organising the Women in Medicine events, the group is always looking for volunteers to assist with:
- generating ideas for speakers;
- procuring sponsorship and prizes;
- assisting with the organisation on the day
The AMA Victoria IMG Special Interest Group acts to promote the interest of international medical graduates and overseas trained doctors.
- Discusses current issues experienced by IMGs in the healthcare system and medical workforce
- Considers new ways to support IMGs in their career pathways
- Seeks to promote the interest of IMGs in the healthcare system
- Arranges events on matters of interest on behalf of IMGs
Participation in the AMA Victoria IMG Special Interest Group is open to all members of AMA Victoria.
The AMA Victoria Section of General Practice acts for and represents all Victorian General Practitioners in matters of mutual interest at state and national level.
- promotes the interests of General Practitioners in all matters relating to their professional work
- arranges forums, seminars and other meetings on matters of interest and concern on behalf of General Practitioners, and
- promotes and carry out all functions and matters ancillary to these objects
- Membership of the AMA Victoria Section of General Practice is open to all General Practitioner and GP Registrar members of AMA Victoria. All Section members are eligible to vote at Special Meetings and the Annual General Meeting and are eligible to attend committee meetings of the Section.
Click here to read the Section of General Practice Constitution.
The Retired Doctors Special Interest Group meets regularly to discuss the needs of the sector and to establish social and networking opportunities for retired doctors.
Social luncheons are held four times a year with topical guest speakers presenting on current and relevant issues affecting retired doctors.
The Section of Psychiatry committee meets once a month at AMA House and is chaired by Dr William Pring.
The committee discusses current issues experienced by themselves or their colleagues working in the craft group at all levels. The Section is also called upon for feedback on important issues like the recent Mental Health Act. The committee is elected once a year at the annual AGM Dinner, but expressions of interest to attend meetings are welcome at any time.
The Section of Medico-Legal meets at AMA House on the second Monday of each alternate month.