Services for GPs and consultants
- Career assessment, review & planning - Support GPs and consultants to proactively manage, plan and review their careers in order to achieve their professional goals, achieve the right balance/mix of work and to establish a career that is rewarding and meets their interests and needs.
- Achieving leadership & career diversification - Support clinicians to successfully transition into management or leadership roles and/or to diversify their career into new and emerging health related areas that align with their interests and future career aspirations.
- Resumes & applications - Deliver targeted career coaching to assist in the successful navigation of competitive recruitment and selection processes for senior appointments. This includes the development of quality resumes, cover letters, role applications and addressing key selection criteria relevant to senior appointments or non-clinical roles.
- Interview & networking - Strategically develop and express their professional profile and reputation - both informally, in the workplace and at professional events, as well as formally in interviews across a range of interview formats.
- Build an online profile - Navigate the role of social media in medical career management, in particular how to create a professional profile on linked in.
- Career transition & portfolio careers - Collaborate with GP’s and consultants looking to transition or diversify their careers either within or external to medicine, including the decision to exit or downsize their role in private or public practice or building a portfolio career.
Coaching Rates (Inclusive of GST)
1 Hr Career Coaching session:
- AMA Member $137 + GST
- AMA Non-Member $320 + GST
Book a 1-hour coaching session (members)
Book a 1-hour coaching session (non-members)
Career Call (member only benefit)
As part of your membership AMA Victoria members can access our careers consultants via telephone for a fifteen minute ‘Career Call’.
15-minute career call (AMA Victoria financial members only)
More info & FAQ
For more information please contact us on email@example.com or call on (03) 9280872
The medical landscape has changed dramatically in recent years and subsequently competition for coveted medical positions is at unprecedented levels.
The impact of these changes has been felt at all stages of the medical career lifecycle and as such doctors now find that they need to proactively manage, plan and review their careers to achieve their potential in a career pathway that aligns with their needs and skills, while leveraging their strengths and interests.
I need some support in evaluating my medical career and understanding which pathways and role (or combination of roles) are the best options for me to pursue long term?Expand
We support doctors to engage in a process of career assessment and review in order to make informed career decisions – continue on, re-enter, progress, diversify, transition. This process can involve a number of steps outlined below:
Career assessment & health check:
- Where am I at?
- What’s working, what’s not?
- Am I achieving my potential and realizing my career goals?
- I need a personal career plan!
Career planning: keep on track and achieve your goals through targeted planning
Career transition: transitioning within and beyond medicine
Life beyond medicine: tackles areas such as planning for retirement, scaling back and moving towards a portfolio career
Career back on track: recommencing your medical career after an extended break
As specialists in medical career management we will support you to write a resume and application that is impactful and relevant to the stage you are at in your medical career and the role you are targeting. Therefore we will support you to:
- Write a professional resume that differentiates you, creates interest and gives the health service the information they value in their recruitment process
- Develop highly targeted application letters that sell you, stand out and address key selection criteria
I am applying for a new role &/or more senior position and for the first time in a long time I need to participate in a formal interview process?Expand
Interviewing is a skill that does not come naturally to the majority of doctors and for many they have not been required to participate in a formal interview process in a long time. In our experience most doctors require a great deal of assistance in developing content to use in responding to interview questions, as well as in improving their interview technique, presentation and communication skills to ensure that they present well, engage their interviewer(s) and sell their potential.
For a number of reasons I need to either reconsider, or transition out of my clinical role or practice - is this possible and how do I go about this?Expand
This scenario is experienced by many doctors. Our role is to support you to work through this process, as an independent and objective third party to:
- Understand and articulate the drivers that have lead you to this position
- Evaluate and confirm, challenge or rethink them if necessary
- Navigate and explore what your options are in either continuing and/or transitioning out of your clinical role/practice
Help you manage your expectations as to how easy or difficult this might be to realise this transition so you can make informed decisions and plan for exiting.
In many professions, it is a very normal and common occurrence to think after a period of time, ‘I am not sure this is the right role or career for me?’ However, in medicine, for a variety of reasons, this seems to be something that is difficult to admit or act upon. It is possible to obtain success, both personally and professionally beyond medicine and we can support you explore what that might look like.
For some it may require retraining in another profession, for others it may be transitioning either your professional competencies and/or medical knowledge & experience into another role within or outside of the broader health sector, for others they start their own business or buy into a successful business.