Support at any stage of your career
Whether you are at the start of your medical career or an experienced doctor, your membership gives you access to professional support, representation and access to networks specific to you.
- Students: Launch your medical career with workplace support and careers services designed to bolster your transition from student to doctor.
- Doctors in training: AMA Victoria Doctors in Training are fundamental influencers behind improvements to workplace conditions. Your membership gives you support and resources to help you advance through an increasingly competitive career in medicine.
- General practitioners: As leaders in primary health care, our GP members are well informed to influence health policy. AMA Victoria membership provides advice on awards, practice management, medical records, employment relations, privacy and more.
- Specialists: Support the advancement of the profession and your career as a specialist with AMA Victoria. You can influence State and Federal Government decision-makers and enterprise bargaining negotiations in partnership with ASMOF.
- Retired doctors : You do not have to let your professional skills devalue nor lose contact with the medical community. While membership fees are greatly reduced, your legacy and influence are not. We have plenty to offer in the next phase of your life and career.
Workplace support & wellbeing
As a member of AMA Victoria, you are supported by a team of workplace relations advisors, who can navigate you through:
- Negotiating your employment contract
- Ensuring that you are receiving correct entitlements
- Understanding your workplace rights and providing representation when required
- Supporting members with workplace bullying, discrimination and harassment issues
- Providing support throughout your career
- Supporting practice owners with HR and employment advice for their staff
- A professional one-on-one careers advisory service
- Assistance with career planning, resume development, and techniques for job interviews
- Access to a range of resources for navigating your career with AMA Victoria’s membership portal
Our wellbeing programs offer support to doctors and medical students, helping you maintain your health and wellbeing through pressure-filled careers.
- Peer Support Service: Confidential, non-judgmental support for doctors by doctors.
- First Response Hotline: Provides advice about bullying, harassment and discrimination.
- Peer Visitor Program: Companionship for elderly doctors and a chance for young doctors to learn from their experience.
Advocacy & Influence
AMA Victoria has influenced policy makers in Victoria for over 150 years. To get involved, call our office on (03) 9280 8722 and join your subdivision.
Careers Service & Training
AMA Victoria offers a variety of coaching services and career solutions designed to support doctors across their entire career lifecycle – from med student to retirement. Our career solutions are medically specific and are delivered by highly experienced and internationally accredited coaches with extensive knowledge of the health sector and the career journey of a doctor.
News & information
In a world of saturated news and opinions, membership delivers accurate, curated and timely information affecting your career.
- Medical Journal of Australia: Australia’s leading peer reviewed general medical journal.
- Vicdoc: Our award-winning magazine contains news affecting the medical profession.
- Fortnightly Check-Up: Our fortnightly Newsletter keeps you updated on current issues.
Events & networking
Network with Doctors from across the profession through forums, workshops and regular meetings throughout the year.
Who can join?
Membership of AMA Victoria is open to medical practitioners of good standing holding current registration to practice in Victoria. Doctors who join AMA Victoria automatically become members of the federal AMA, the peak body advancing the interests of doctors with the Australian Government. Victorian medical students may join AMA Victoria as student members for free.
AMA Victoria (AMAV) promotes the advancement of medicine in Victoria. We protect and support the individual and collective needs of our members, by providing workplace, industrial and medico-legal support.
AMAV is not a government-funded organisation. Work done by AMAV on behalf of members is funded by the collective annual subscriptions of AMAV’s membership. These funds are directed into activities that improve health care and advance the medical profession in Victoria.
Membership subscriptions allow AMAV to employ skilled and experienced staff to protect members’ interests, defend their rights and improve their workplace terms and conditions. These resources are not available to non-members.
These benefits include the invaluable service of one-on-one assistance when a member encounters problems in the workplace. Most Victorian medical practitioners, at some time in their career, face a workplace dispute or problem of some sort. Such instances include bullying claims brought by or against the doctor, errors in pay or leave entitlements, an unjust accusation, issues with management directives, undergoing a Medicare review, private practice partnership issues or various contractual disputes. Only AMA members have the security of knowing they can access the AMAV’s expert staff and extensive resources to assist the doctor.
Because AMAV does not provide assistance to non-members, it is in your interests to join for the duration of your career and prior to any problems arising. In the same way that no-one expects to buy insurance for a car that has already been written off, there should be no expectation that AMAV will assist in resolving a pre-existing problem. If you join in good faith and a workplace, industrial or medico-legal issue subsequently arises, you will receive AMAV’s full support – even if you have been a member for only a short time. There is no waiting period for accessing services, however the terms and conditions below apply in relation to pre-existing issues.
New members joining with pre-existing issues and unresolved disputes:
Medical practitioners who want to join AMA Victoria under these circumstances must pay the full annual fee for the year in which they join. These members are eligible to enter a monthly payment arrangement in their second year of membership.
AMAV Benefits and Services Access Policy provides guidelines which ensure that the highest standard of workplace, industrial and medico-legal advice is provided fairly and equally to all financial members.
The features of the Benefits and Services Access Policy for financial members are:
- Non-members are not eligible for assistance.
- Non-members are not eligible to access any member benefits or services.
- Where a medical practitioner joins AMAV and a problem develops after the date of joining, the member shall be entitled to advice and assistance immediately.
- Where a medical practitioner joins AMAV, that member is eligible to access all member benefits.
- This policy may be varied at the discretion of AMAV’s Chief Executive Officer where circumstances warrant such considerations.
Unfinancial members are defined as members who have not paid their subscription. Unfinancial members are not entitled to any workplace, industrial or medico-legal assistance or access to any member only benefits or services until such time as they pay the annual subscription and any arrears.
AMA (Victoria) Membership Subscriptions
Clause 17 of the Constitution provides that ordinary members of AMA Victoria will pay an annual subscription based on a calendar year. The annual subscription will be pro rata for new members who join after 1 July in any year. The annual subscription may be paid in one amount or by way of equal monthly instalments.
Members who lapses for one or more years (unless suspension is approved) will have their membership tenure revert back to new member in their 1st year.
If a member chooses to resign prior to the end of the calendar year, then the member is not entitled to a refund of the annual subscription (either in whole or in part).
A membership confirmation letter will only be provided after payment has been receipted and membership fee paid.
AMA Victoria Direct Debit Request Service Agreement
Click here to read the AMA Victoria Direct Debit Request Service Agreement.
Monthly Payment Plan Terms and Conditions
By becoming or continuing to be a member of AMA Victoria on a monthly plan, you agree to pay the applicable monthly membership fee on the 15th of each month. Your membership continues on an ongoing basis and AMA Victoria will deduct payment from your nominated payment method automatically each month. If you wish to cancel your AMA Victoria membership, you will need to provide AMA Victoria with at least 30 days’ notice by calling the membership department of AMA Victoria. For clarity, the scheduled monthly membership fee deduction that falls within the 30-day notice period is still payable.
Join AMA Victoria
If you are a member you can also enjoy many benefits, including direct free access to the expertise of AMA Victoria’s professional staff; significant savings on AMA Victoria seminars, programs and manuals; free attendance at AMA Victoria events; access to...
As an additional benefit for members employed by a public hospital, AMA Victoria has a conjoint membership arrangement with the Victorian Branch of the Australian Salaried Medical Officers Federation (ASMOF).